The purpose of the 2022 HIDTA Prevention Summit is to equip communities with knowledge and tools to support integration of communications science into their approach to 1) developing messages and having conversations with youth ages 12-18 and 2) changing social mindsets to build community readiness for substance use prevention.
- Discuss advances in substance use prevention science, policy, and strategies in the context of national substance threats.
- Introduce a framework for how to prevent substance use and other problems before they happen, including how to address the most common barriers to upstream thinking.
- Describe the utility and value of a coordinated system of prevention and the role of communication strategies in mobilizing prevention efforts and preventing substance use in youth.
- Examine the influence of social norms on the perspectives and behaviors of youth.
- Understand the existing evidence for substance use prevention messaging to youth.
- Learn how to apply evidence-informed messaging frames in public safety, educator, caregiver, healthcare provider, coalition, and prevention professional roles.
Register through the Zoom link at the bottom of this page.